Radio: New iOS 6 Maps

Nightowl logo

Gene Steinberg of the Tech Night Owl invited me to talk about Apple’s much maligned iOS 6 Maps.

You can tune into the live broadcast stream Saturday night from 7:00 to 10:00 PM Pacific, 10:00 PM to 1:00 AM Eastern, at http://www.technightowl.com/radio/. An archive of the show is available for downloading and listening at your convenience within four hours after the original broadcast.

The Tech Night Owl LIVE is also broadcast on many local radio stations via the GCN network. There’a also now a mobile app for GCN radio.

You can also access the show’s Podcast feed, now available at: http://www.technightowl.com/nightowl.xml.

1 jmfree { 09.30.12 at 11:01 am }

I would have commented sooner, but I was on a road trip to Columbia, SC and it took me a while to drive my car back from South America.

(Ba-da-bum, tssssshhhhh…)

The sudden appearance of a small bit of “bad” news from Apple is like a sprinkling of rain to pundits for whom controversy is the water of life, and all of whom have been consistently caught off guard by the company, which has this odd tendency to expose their lack of vision. At last, the drought is over! Prayers answered! New life springs forth to nurture our resentments!

I was just up in the boonies of New Hampshire on a rainy night, dropping someone off at a hotel, having searched for it by name only, easily navigating turn-by-turn across bridges, service roads, and office parks clustered near the highway, and all the while indulging in an imaginary Schadenfreude, thinking “I certainly pity all those miserable people plunging off the Hoover Dam right now.”

The “mapocalypse” — an orgy of mapsturbation, driven largely by a violated sense of entitlement amounting to: “You took away my Google.” (Well actually, no, but don’t bother me with details!) It has to be an “epic fail” that “tarnishes” Apple’s image, plunging the world into a darkness the likes of which we’ve never seen.

And… all for free.

Imagine that.

2 enzos { 09.30.12 at 8:09 pm }

You seem to be suffering a nasty case of paronomasia, jmfree.

Yes, Maps is smooth and responsive and works in urban areas and in towns (in Oz) as far as I can tell so far. As it should be since the app uses TomTom nav data here. There are a number of glaring errors, however, like marking my home town as being in the middle of a large swamp 30 km north of where it is! (I sent a report, and few others before I realised that most rural towns in Oz have been ‘pinned’ 15 to 30 km north-west of their true position).

This is a problem that should have been detected and (easily) fixed before the app was released. Give them a couple of months; the errors I’ve found look embarrassing but easily fixed.. In the meantime the Garmin Nuvi is still in the car, still doing its job.

3 ballonknot { 10.02.12 at 12:07 pm }

FYI, Brooklyn is part of NYC.

4 jmfree { 10.03.12 at 10:02 am }

As mapster of my own density, I resemble that remark.

5 derekchad { 10.05.12 at 6:26 pm }

I was one of, if not the first cyclist who was hit at the Market/Octavia intersection. (The intersection was opened on a Friday, I got hit the following Monday on my way to work.) I spent months going to public hearings and neighborhood meetings trying to get something like the physical barriers that have since been put into place. And Google Maps is still telling motorists to turn right there.

6 jmfree { 10.14.12 at 4:32 pm }