Podcast: Antennagate

Nightowl logo

Gene Steinberg of the Tech Night Owl invited me to talk about WWDC and iPhone 4.

You can tune into the live broadcast stream Thursday nights from 6:00 to 8:00 PM Pacific, 9:00 to 11:00 PM Eastern, at http://www.technightowl.com/radio/. An archive of the show will be available for downloading and listening at your convenience within four hours after the original broadcast.

NOW PLAYING! July 17, 2010 — Daniel Eran Dilger, John Martellaro and Robb Moore

You can also access the show’s Podcast feed, now available at: http://www.technightowl.com/nightowl.xml. Gene Steinberg’s Tech Night Owl LIVE program is now being syndicated on the GCN radio network.

Listen live, pull up earlier podcast episodes via iTunes, and subscribe to the Tech Night Owl RSS feed at:

The Tech Night Owl LIVE with Gene Steinberg

1 shadash { 07.21.10 at 8:23 pm }

Great podcast Dan. I’ve missed the updates on the site lately though. I will try not to be such a pain in the ass from now on if you update it, how’s that? :-)

2 Conrad MacIntyre { 07.21.10 at 9:54 pm }

Dude. This has been up on Steinberg’s podcast forever. Tomorrow’s a new one already.

With all the Antenna/Q3/T-Mobile news going around seems like there’s plenty of fodder for a good story.

I’ve become a regular at Daring Fireball since you’ve been away. John’s terse Jobsian commentry doesn’t really do it that same way as the in-depth, well thought-out and cutting articles I’ve come to enjoy about this place.

That is all.

3 ChuckO { 07.22.10 at 6:35 am }

Yea nothing to say (on “RoughlyDrafted”) about “Antennagate”? Are you getting bored of the blog? Too busy earning a living?

4 JohnWatkins { 07.22.10 at 1:05 pm }

A design firm I worked at had a small but very legible sign in the conference room where we met with clients:

GOOD, FAST, CHEAP.
PICK ANY TWO.

I feel we are very lucky with Dan since we don’t have to pick. We automatically get
“GOOD AND CHEAP”
and we sometimes even get, “FAST.”

5 ericgen { 07.22.10 at 2:00 pm }

Most people who are regulars here already know this, but if you don’t, checkout Dan’s posts over at AppleInsider. They’re usually not as fun or edgy, but they’re always well-written and informative. He’s usually under his own name now, but occasionally a ‘Prince McClean’ article still shows up.

He’s had lots of articles over there lately so I suspect it’s a combination of him being very busy combined with no one doing anything so blatantly stupid as to require a response over here.

6 ChuckO { 07.22.10 at 5:50 pm }

Just listened to the first segment or two of the podcast. Wheew. Some crazy stuff in there. Gene says they’re “just a smartphone, just fancy cellphones with some different computing technologies” and he often says you can do better with two cans and a tightly stretched string. Well alrighty, then!

7 ChuckO { 07.22.10 at 7:05 pm }

Two problems with how Apple handled “Antennagate”:

1. The initial bar software fix was communication was ludicrous. They should have just said “We need to change the algorithm for iPhone 4″ not “Oh, wow were shocked but this has been wrong all along.” That’s insulting to everyone especially Apple supporters.

2. They should have come out much earlier and said “Whoa, slow down engadget\gizmodo\etc this is a much smaller issue than your making it out to be BUT we are concerned with what’s being reported and are looking into it and WILL keep communicating” or something to that effect. Unfortunately that’s not how Apple works typically AND Jobs was on vacation in Hawaii and apparently nothing can happen unless Steve meticulously crafts the response and that SLOWS everything way down and let’s something like this get way out of control.

8 FightTheFuture { 07.22.10 at 9:56 pm }

is it me, or did Gene add more commercials to his show? it felt like 2:00 blocks of ads.

anyways, good job on the show. waiting patiently for your next post.

9 vanfruniken { 07.23.10 at 11:31 am }

Hi, I immensely enjoy Daniel’s articles on RoughlyDrafted, but find it rather cumbersome to listen to, and watch, video clips. The reason is that video is a serial format (in that it creates a captive audience, time-wise) and written text is more or less random-access.

So please, keep the number of pod- and videocasts to a minimum.

10 vanfruniken { 07.23.10 at 11:34 am }

Let me share with you something I already posted elsewhere:

For me, antennagate had an upside. Let me explain.

I own a 3GS and have very low reception from my cell phone provider inside the house (everything’s fine upstairs, though). I suppose the closest antenna mast lines up with the houses of my street and there must be a lot of reinforced concrete or other metal stuff in the 3 meters closest to the ground.

But the so called iPhone troubles: “just don’t hold it that way”, apparently also hold for the 3GS.

The solution for me is simple. I used to hold the lower part of my phone, under the assumption that the antenna on the 3GS was located at the top (you could see where it was on earlier models, but no longer on the 3GS). After all I am an electrical engineer and I do expect some attenuation from clutching the antenna side of my phone.

But low and behold, the antenna turns out to be at the bottom.
And I get at least an additonal bar of reception when I hold my 3GS at the middle or at the top. Now I am able to frequently complete phone calls without being disconnected given the low signal conditions inside my house.

Do I feel pissed off because there is also an attenuating effect from holding the phone in a certain way? Of course not, that is to be expected. Except, FULL KNOWLEDGE of the antenna geometry, can be used REPRODUCIBLY to one’s ADVANTAGE in conditions of poor reception.

11 Conrad MacIntyre { 07.23.10 at 5:44 pm }

I listen to Tech Night Owl inspire of Gene. The man irritates me with his inane commentary and useless insights. And ads. Oh my goodness. So many ads. I only listen when Dan is on now.

And as for there being nothing to talk about… That just isn’t true! Has anyone else read the Dan Lyons article about why Apple are bastards over the whole antennagate press conference?

Anyhow. I guess I’ll be back when there’s something to read.

Ciao.

12 Conrad MacIntyre { 07.23.10 at 5:44 pm }

Dang, that should have said IN SPITE of Gene.

13 ChuckO { 07.24.10 at 7:35 am }

Gene’s a kook. I always get the feeling that he’s bored doing the show and kind of half involved. He seems to get annoyed at random points in an interview like he’s pissed he has to follow the other person’s train of thought.

14 JohnWatkins { 07.24.10 at 10:08 am }

Why would anyone read anything Dan Lyons has to say?
He’s a clueless, hit whoring, poseur.
It would be like listening to Jim Kramer’s stock advice or Bill O’Reily’s “news reports.”

15 ChuckO { 07.24.10 at 12:54 pm }

It’s a shame because Dan’s pretty funny. FakeSteve was terrific in the beginning with the stuff about Bono and Larry Ellison and making up stuff about Steve’s life in and outside of Apple. I don’t get why he keeps getting involved in the technical side. He has no aptitude for it.

16 JohnWatkins { 07.24.10 at 6:14 pm }

Yeah I like FSJ too, but I hated lending him my eyeball time when I saw the crappy stuff he wrote elsewhere. can’t believe he’s still at Newsweek.

17 lowededwookie { 07.27.10 at 12:55 am }

I have to say the coating idea is crap.

Any coating will rub off with use so then you’re going to be back at square one.

That John Martellaro just seems to be a whiney idiot that was at Apple before the current golden times and he’s annoyed by that. He never really offered anything of use.

He has a go at Apple for not offering a technical solution and yet comes up with nothing himself?

18 enzos { 07.27.10 at 2:44 am }

On the contrary, Mr Wookie,
.. By mixing these polytypes in various ways at the nanoscale level of structure, DLC coatings ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond-like_carbon ) can be made that at the same time are amorphous, flexible, and yet purely sp3 bonded “diamond”. The hardest, strongest, and slickest is such a mixture, known as tetrahedral amorphous carbon, or ta-C. For example, a coating of only 2 μm thickness of ta-C increases the resistance of common (i.e. type 304) stainless steel against abrasive wear; changing its lifetime in such service from one week to 85 years. .. If a DLC material is close enough to ta-C on plots of bonding ratios and hydrogen content it can be an insulator with a high value of resistivity.

19 lowededwookie { 07.28.10 at 4:04 am }

Yeah and what’s the cost of a diamond like compound? Is it cost effective enough for Apple to use on their products?

20 JohnWatkins { 07.29.10 at 7:11 am }

A coating like that would work. But it’s only possible to apply during production and is not a solution for the several million phones already out there.