Support for iOS 4 multitasking, iPhone 4 Retina Display easy to add

iOS 4 app updates

Updating existing App Store titles to support new features in Apple’s iOS 4, from multitasking to the higher resolution Retina Display of iPhone 4, are relative easy and straightforward to do, developers report.

Just prior to the release of iOS 4, Apple began approving a series of updated apps, ranging from The New York Times (which wasn’t working with iOS 4 at all before, and now supports fast app switching) to Pandora (which now adds Background Audio) to Loopt (which now support Background Location).

Today’s new release of iOS 4 appears to be identical to the ‘golden master’ that Apple distributed at WWDC, apart from the omission of Game Center. That app is still a “developer preview” covered by Apple’s NDA, and will be publicly released later in the year, according to App Store developer Clement Padovani.

There’s a few potential hiccups related to updating to iOS 4 some users report, but these seem to be relatively minor irritations, such as instances of users not being able to send MMS messages, finding very low resolution versions of photos begin synced over from iPhoto libraries, and some issues with ActiveSync, which is used by Exchange and Google cloud sync.

Adding support for iOS 4 multitasking with Fast App Switching

Developers report fewer problems, apart from being able to get their updated apps approved. Verifying compatibility with iOS 4 over the 225,000 app library of the App Store is a formidable task, but a search of Apple’s iTunes.apple.com site shows over 1,000 apps that are already citing improvements related to iOS 4.

Scott Sykora, the lead developer of Tasker, a location based task management tool, has added support for Fast App Switching, Background Location, and the high resolution Retina Display, and is currently waiting for Apple to approve the new update.

Asked about what was involved, Sykora said, “I found the Fast App Switching to be one of the easiest things to get working in iOS4. All it requires is a re-compile against the new libraries and your app will freeze and unfreeze in the background. The extra work comes if you want to support it well. If you’re app has some memory that it can free up when its put in the background this is a very good idea as this will keep your app from getting killed completely during low memory situations.

”Also if you have network connections, use OpenGL or some specific shared assets there is some more work you need to do. So basically its an automatic feature when re-compiling but there is a big difference between just turning it on and executing it well. In my case my app didn’t use many of the shared resources that need extra work and it already handled many of the memory issues. It was ready to go out of the box though I’m sure its a feature I’ll be optimizing and testing more for future releases.“

iOS 4 app updates

Adding support for Background Location

”For Background Location updates this, again, was quite simple,“ Sykora said. ”You just need to set up a CLLocationManager object and tell it to start updating you on significant location changes. There is no extra thread you need to set up and if your app has been killed while in the background the system will re-open it and tell it of the new location.“

Background Location works differently depending on whether the user’s phone is plugged into power (such as driving in a car with a power adapter, in which case the system activates GPS) or idle in a pocket running on battery (when the system relies upon cellular towers for passive location updates). While sleeping without a power source, Background Location may send the app updates as far apart as every 30 minutes.

”This doesn’t give you very good resolution if you want to notify the user if they’re near something,“ Sykora explained. ”If the phone is plugged in the app is updated much more frequently. This limitation is there to save the user battery life and I’m sure Apple has tried to balance it as best they can. I just wish there was a way to specify a little more frequent updates if an app needs them but doesn’t want to go to full GPS mode.“

Adding support for with Local Notifications

Local Notifications ”are basically alerts and badge updates you can schedule in the app,“ as opposed to Push Notifications which originate on an external server. ”This was very easy to implement,“ Sykora notes, ”just setting the date and scheduling a notification. Its great because now you can have alarms and badge updates not require a server connection when you just want to schedule them for a specific time.“

Adding support for iPhone 4 Retina Display

Full resolution support for iPhone 4 is ”also quite easy if your artwork was created at a higher resolution or using vector artwork,“ Sykora said. ”Basically you just create images with the same filename as the current version with “@2x” added,“ such as picture@2x.png. ”They need to be exactly twice the dimensions but you don’t need to change your code at all. The standard bundle image loader automatically checks for a high res version when you’re loading the image.

“For OpenGL ES apps or apps that load images using custom libraries, they’ll probably need to do a check in the app for the screen scale and then load the appropriate artwork. Because of this a lot of games will probably take a lot more work to support the high res display.

”Overall, I’ve found the transition to iOS 4 to be very painless. I think a big reason for this is that I develop in Objective C and use the native frameworks whenever I can. Apple has done the work to support developers using their tools but if a developer is using a 3rd party abstraction layer their lives will get quite a bit more complicated. Maybe this is a moot point since most of those have been restricted in the new dev agreement anyway.“

1 GusDoeMatik { 06.21.10 at 10:07 pm }

Wow I don’t know what to say except that this is a totally unique App development environment. The changes people have to make are significant, but the end result is stupendous…

2 Berend Schotanus { 06.22.10 at 1:25 am }

Once you understand the Objective-C programming principles adaptation of a program is indeed straightforeward. The key is that you have to think in a higher level of abstraction. Objective-C encourages you to think on a functional level of abstraction. However, for many people abstract thinking is really difficult, they prefer a more concrete ‘data and buttons’ level of abstraction. That might be the reason why they prefer programming environments like Flash over Objective-C.

Of course, when you think ‘data and buttons’, the kind of adaptation as described above becomes really, really hard.

3 ShabbaRanks { 06.22.10 at 7:22 am }

As much as I hate to say it, the iOS4 experience has, so far, been very Windows Vista esque.
I’ve been using it since WWDC and have found the same hardware (the lowly iPhone 3G) significantly slower, crashes at least 2 times a day (requiring hard reset) and lots of my previously working apps now don’t even start, meaning I’ve got the long wait for updates to come.
Tried iBooks and found it to be full of really bad design choices e.g. It insists on creating a thumbnail of every damn PDF instead of the easier to use ‘fake book with title’ look, thus making it so slow to use it’s almost useless.
This is all off a new install too, I didn’t even restore from backup just to be sure it had the best start possible.
Sadly, were stuck with it for the time being as pretty soon apps for iOS4 only are going to start flooding in.
Didn’t even get wallpapers god damn it.

4 ShabbaRanks { 06.22.10 at 7:45 am }

Oh, and I’m not buying another iPhone until this thing breaks. At £599 a go they’re not cheap.

5 FreeRange { 06.22.10 at 8:01 am }

@ShabbaRanks – What nonsense – Vista esque??? You must be joking. As to not buying another iPhone until it breaks, you are truly a fool. If you aren’t happy with the performance of older hardware, and don’t want to upgrade, then quit whining.

6 ShabbaRanks { 06.22.10 at 9:51 am }

VISTA-ESQUE. To me, the parallels are amazing.

7 ShabbaRanks { 06.22.10 at 9:58 am }

@ FreeRange.
Yes, you’re right. Not wanting to shell out the best part of £600 for a new version of something that previously worked really well is surely the height of idiocy. Who needs money? I myself wipe my arse with £5 notes because of their lovely crinkly texture. Christ on a bike!

8 hrissan { 06.22.10 at 11:32 am }

I have an iPhone 3G and I agree with ShabbaRanks. iOS4 reminds me of both Windows and Mac OSX, both of which get a bit slower every minor and major update. You have to compensate by buying new hardware. Many people just buy new Mac with new OS instead of upgrading OS only, so they are tricked into thinking the OS becomes faster, but it does not.

iOS 4 swaps pages around very actively because it uses so much memory! I made a test – during 1 hour of sleep it swaped about 10000 pages, which is 40MB of code swapped out and then in. I think it is a good indicator of how much memory it requires.

But does it use available memory wisely? I doubt it:

I’ve looked at the list of processes & their real memory usage in XCode for my iPhone 3G after launching and quiting large game (to make iOS free as much memory as possible).

Daemons for features switched off:
BTServer: 684KB (I have bluetooth off)
accessoryd: 550KB (I never use accessories)
lockdownd: 1.56MB (Monitoring activation status – I have an unlocked phone)
ptpd: 1.29MB (Tethering, I have tethering off)

Also look at these 2 daemons:
aosnotifyd: 2.6MB (Mobile.me sync – so much for 1 open socket?)
dataaccessd: 3.74MB (Exchange calendar sync – oh my God!)

I love new iOS 4 features, but it seems memory optimization was not the top priority. It is possible even that supporting 3G was decided on the later phase of development.

9 danieleran { 06.22.10 at 11:36 am }

I’ve been using the iPhone 4 beta since before WWDC, and I experienced one hardware crash and a few apps that didn’t launch, which have since been updated and work.

iPhone 2.0 was awful at first and nobody said anything! OS 3 was pretty stable at launch, but iOS 4 seems rock solid.

That hasn’t stopped sensationalist pundits from coming out of the woodwork to post tweets and rants posted to support pages that they’ve found. If there were major problems, we’d be seeing reports of actual issues and experiencing them.

Although ShabbRanks, if you want to keep using a 3G, you can’t expect it to get dramatically faster. Smartphone hardware isn’t on the pace of recent Macs (which have been stuck at 2.xGHz for years and making minor 15% performance jumps on an annual basis), they’re on the tear of computers in the late 80s, where every new model is twice as fast as the last one.

If you can’t afford UK VAT, I suggest you buy a ticket to New York and buy one here off craigslist or something. We sell them in dollars here.

10 ShabbaRanks { 06.22.10 at 12:36 pm }

Don’t misunderstand me. I’m not expecting a performance hike, in fact, I realistically expect the opposite. However, as I think I’ve already illustrated, my experience with iOS4 has been disappointing at best. iOS3 was excellent for me, fast, stable and generally reliable. No system-wide multitasking? Not a problem. I’ve no need for it anyway. 15 full seconds for the system settings to come up? Hmmm, less difficult to justify.
My problem is basic tasks on iPhone 3G are now very slow and it’s not like we have a choice here. IOS4 will likely be a prerequisite for future apps. It’s sad that, for me, iOS4 has made me sympathise with all those Vista users.

11 ShabbaRanks { 06.22.10 at 1:22 pm }

@ danieleran
I’ve just watched the news. Wasn’t sure what you were on about with the VAT thing but now I know.
:-(
Next stop, New York.

12 talonhawk { 06.22.10 at 1:55 pm }

@hrissan

Maybe DED can confirm, but I don’t think the iDevices have any SWAP in their virtual memory system, since they don’t have a large hard disk to use.

13 Mike { 06.22.10 at 2:23 pm }

talonhawk wrote:

The iPhone does have swap memory, just like a Mac. It just doesn’t use as much memory as the Mac does, because it doesn’t run as many services. Ever wonder where the 500 MB that you supposedly get from a 16GB or whatever in addition to the space you use for music and stuff goes to? It’s reserved for the OS on a separate drive partition that only the OS can use (well, technically jailbroken applications could use that partition too, but that’s a different story). So in addition to storing the OS files, that partition serves as virtual/swap memory. But that virtual memory is really really fast compared to a hard drive… in fact it’s almost as fast as the main memory when reading data. So that’s why the original iPhone can run on only 128MB of RAM and still be really responsive compared to a lot of other phones.

14 HammerOfTruth { 06.22.10 at 4:18 pm }

I never did upgrade my original iPhone to the 3g or 3gs because I never saw the need to. The upgraded memory was a nice touch, but not compelling enough to shell out more money. Plus, being a long time AT&T survivor, I knew all about the 3G BS, so I wasn’t surprised to see AT&T blame Apple. The 3GS to me, looked like a placeholder for something Apple had in the works, but shelved. And after their purchase of PA and the hiring of Papermaster, I knew there was something powerful coming. The iPad shows how fast the iOS experience can be and with the new iPhone using the same processor and rumored to have 512mb, this should be the experience equivalent of the original iPhone. Not to mention all the other features, both mentioned and yet to be discovered.

Now I just have to wait to see when the white ones show up. I hear they hide pocket lint pretty well.

15 cy_starkman { 06.23.10 at 1:39 am }

@ShabbaRanks

I’m on a 3GS and installed via iTunes yesterday.

I’m surprised at your experience, not from it being wrong but that it wasn’t already your experience. I had the 3G and when I installed OS3 it took such a performance hit that I switched to a 3GS the day it launched (cost about $50aud after selling my 3G). Even swiping to search would be visually a crawl.

I would propose you don’t need an iPhone 4 but simply a 2nd hand 3GS 16gig.

I think Daniel is being generous in saying annual performance jumps are 15%, many components are down to single digit improvements now. There is still intel spin about doubling but it’s bollocks.

iOS4 immediately improved overall experience and speed on the 3GS (mostly)

I don’t like that you have to have a homescreen background, trust me you are missing nothing, to get blank you need a picture of black which is dumb, that’s the only speed hit I’ve observed. It’s subtle but real.

The implementation of folders and task switching seems tacked on to me and regardless if an app has fast switch or not it ends up down in the task list. By the end of a day it looks like a one row high version of the homescreen unless you constantly busy yourself holding down and closing apps. Hmm

The other area of boost, and this makes little sense is in call quality, not dropping but actual sound. Tweaked equalizer maybe, I don’t know.

Anyway you don’t need to drop £600, just stay a generation behind since you already did and pick up the crumbs of early adopters. You sound like a dev though, so wouldn’t you want 4 to test your wares?

Me, not sure. I won’t go 32gig again, total waste. I have people who want to buy my 3GS so depending on a few factors I might just upgrade for nearly zero cost.

16 cy_starkman { 06.23.10 at 1:49 am }

Clarification.

By tacked on I mean visually.

More than speed I am concerned that with each OS version it is starting to suffer the fate of the desktop. The next thing has to get stuffed in somewhere visually to the point where it’s all crammed and operationally it’s becoming clickity clickity to get anything done.

The fine line between single and double click on the home button will be a point of frustration. That apps are visually in two places will confuse.

There are so many gestures possible why couldn’t close be drawing a small circle on the icon or something else, waiting around for the long press to register all the time is already painful.

17 duckie { 06.23.10 at 3:02 am }

Something odd is going on as so many people seem to have issues. However I am generally very pleased with iOS 4 on my 3G and most tasks seem a little quicker than before. I also have one or two apps that no longer start (including Flickr) but I think as the logjam of app updates clears that issue will evaporate.

I wonder if some people’s problems have been caused by not waiting until the end of the update process – towards the end of the update iTunes stopped reporting on progress as if it had all completed only without giving me a dialog box to confirm. I turned the phone back on without disconnecting it from USB and after a few minutes it went through one more reset/load with the progress bar on the screen of the phone. I still never received confirmation from iTunes that the update was complete though, which is a bit naughty.

18 ShabbaRanks { 06.23.10 at 6:57 am }

I’m definitely sticking with my 3G for now. I’ve got better things to spend money on than replacing something that still works (albeit slowly and flakily).
Hopefully the next update can address memory issues so the lag and black screens of doom I’m currently seeing will be remedied.
iPhone’s still the best smartphone out there so it’s not like there’s anything to rush away to.

Anyway, England match is about to start. COME ON ENGLAND!!!

19 Alan { 06.23.10 at 11:03 am }

A little off topic, but since you brought it up…Go U.S.A. What an exciting game, a winning goal in overtime to win the group. England will have a tough road ahead probably facing Germany. The U.S. could possibly advance pretty far.

Now back on topic. iOS might add features much later than competing phones, but Apple does tend to get it right once implemented. I will wait for iPad 2.0 to take the plunge, but I will buy one. Assuming Apple still don’t have a Sprint version of the iPhone out by then, in which case I would just get an iPhone. I can see a day where Apple leverages iOS with their Mac line in the form of dual booting, or as an application or some sort of virtual OS environment. You could use your iPhone or maybe some new trackpad USB peripheral to control the gestures. Eventually maybe they will even add touch abilities directly to the screen itself.

I am curious about one thing maybe you can answer Dan. With all these new developers for iOS, do you think that will translate into more OS X software? Since all these guys have to use a Mac to create iOS apps and have to learn their way around the OS X programming tools and API’s, I am wondering if that will translate into more OS X software as well. Or has that already happened?

20 JPTJr { 06.23.10 at 7:21 pm }

This discussion inspired me to register for this site after years of reading roughlydrafted.

Have an iPhone 3G and just updated to iOS4. Aside from a couple of hiccups in Mail, this update has been incredible on my 3G. In addition to all the updates we 3Gers, animation is subtly improved, and my sense is that everything is a little faster. Screen swipes that were choppy in OS3 are now as smooth as my friends’ 3GS. ShabbaRanks, I would definitely re-install, because it sounds like something didn’t take.

Anyway, I’ll probably buy an iPhone 4 (with a new 2-year contract) and give the 3G to my wife whose RAZR is dying.

21 Waenni { 06.24.10 at 7:27 am }

yes, same here. I wanted to sign up for a while now, but this was the discussion that finally mad me do it….

So, I updated the night the iOS4 was available. The reasons being were the newly available “Folder” options and of course the multitasking feature. And yes, I was a little concerned about my 3GS becoming slower….

First and foremost: No, the 3GS did not become much slower. There are a few latencies and hiccups when scrolling or swiping between screens. But overall, the performance is ok. And no, I also did not experience any battery life issues, as some folks did.

Well, the folders are great and work as expected. Although I wish, that we could design our own Folder Icons, or at least pick and choose from some available Icons. That may still be coming and is not a huge deal. The implementation of folders into the UI is brilliant.

Multitasking is, well, a mixed bag of beans I find. I have never really through thought the MT issue since I barely missed it. I had always the opinion, that multitasking would be severely more important on the iPad than it would be on the phone. My personal thing for multitasking was to finally have the ability to have Skype running in the background when I am at home, so people can call me on Skype. And of course, listening to any radio station while doing something else.

But here it begins: none of my radio stations supports the multitasking feature yet (WERS and NPR). Although they play, I can not “close” the apps w/o the radio stopping to play. That is a shame but will hopefully be sorted over the next few months. Unfortunately I don’t get Pandora (&**%$&##$% !!!) here in the UK, which is supposed to already work.

The second disappointment was Skype. When I “close” the app, it signs me out. But hold on – wasn’t Skype the app they made a big tam-tam at the iOS4 introduction this April/May???? Or am I wrong here? I must admit that I have not tried using another app while being on the phone with Skype, but yes, when I close the Skype window, the app signs me out. That is a big bummer.

Overall I must say that very few of my apps support the multitasking feature correctly. Most of them restart as usual, once their window has been closed. Very few apps stopped working: I can open and close them but they do not show any reaction when open. Dead. Well, that is not of much concern, since a) they will be updated over time and b) my “crucial” apps work fine.

But what really bothers me (and here is the part that I never through thought, as mentioned above) is the fact that I can not close an app anymore. Whereas in version <= 3.x an app was gone when I went home, now EVERY SINGLE APP I open hangs out in the taskbar. From there I have to close it manually. That is, well, not cool. Because:
To switch an app under 3.x we had to [push] for closing and going home, [swipe] [swipe] to go to the target page, [tap] to start the new app. Depending on how well organised you were on your phone and what you were doing, it was kinda annoying.
Let's see. Now we have to [doublepush] for taskbar, [swipe] [swipe] to find the (hopefully, maybe) already open app in the (possibly rather long) taskbar and [tap] to start. If I closed the app before and it is not in the taskbar anymore, I have to add [push] for home, [swipe] [swipe] for target page and [tap] to start. Somehow, that does not seem like a time saver to me.

And we have to close every app manually. Somehow, all of this increased the amount of action required to operate a phone, that used be be so calm in our palms.

So, the multitasking feature is in my eyes more of a pain rather than a feature. At least, for now it is. Lets see how it goes….

And yea, iBooks is SUPER slow on my 3GS, But you know what? It is nice to have for the train.

What else?

Character Counter – great !!!! What took you so long ?????????
And PLEASE: give me some custom TXT MSG sounds, will ya?

M.

22 ShabbaRanks { 06.24.10 at 9:14 am }

It’s worth pointing out that my wife’s 3GS works excellently with iOS4. Very impressive. It’s the 3G I think it’s harmed.
Going to try my third reinstall tonight as the 3G has crashed a grand total of 4 times today, all requiring hard resets.
PS: I’m also finding battery life has sunk to almost Nokia N95 levels. Not quite but almost. It’s somewhat good news that I seem to be largely alone with these issues.

23 imfullofit@gmail.com { 06.25.10 at 6:19 am }

I am using a 3G and have also been disappointed. Apps crash all the time (even ones like the New York Times app that have been updated), there is a noticeable lag when I type, and things like MMS, Ipod and Mail are crashing. This is the first time I have been unhappy with an apple product. Considering the large number of people still using the 3G model I think this is a huge mistake on apples part. They shouldn’t be pushing this out to 3G users or they should make sure its snappy. I am ok with apps crashing but I don’t want to wait 20 or 30 seconds for my MMS to open or have the screen keylock lagging when I type in my password. This is particularly annoying because on a touch screen you really need feedback so that you know that your touch commands are working.

[Apple isn't forcing you to upgrade. Apps should continue to work under iOS 3.x. And if you think this "the first time I have been unhappy with an apple product," you must be new to iPhone or have forgotten the atrocious 2.0 release. - Dan ]

24 airmanchairman { 06.25.10 at 8:14 am }

IMHO, most of the disappointment centred around the performance issues on the 3G post-upgrade to iOS4 arise from user impatience with the long duration of the full backup and restore process involved, leading to their interrupting the process at some crucial stage, or failing to read crucial signposts along the upgrade path.

I know because I impatiently interrupted the first run on my 3G after nearly 2 hours of backup, thinking there was a glitch. I then connected up my 3GS which upgraded flawlessly in just over an hour. That was partly because I was surfing online iPhone forums while waiting for the 3G to backup and had acquired a feel for the issues that people were experiencing.

Armed with the confidence from my successful 3GS upgrade and the feedback from online users, I restarted the 3G upgrade and let it take all the time that it needed, which turned out to be the better part of 4 hours, after which I did get a positive confirmation from iTunes that the update was complete, @duckie. My 3G looks and feels better for the upgrade though I do notice some slightly longer app start-up times (strangely though, my X-Plane flight simulator apps, the most memory and graphics intensive of my entire collection, work flawlessly and possibly better to boot).

Overall I’m impressed with the improvements to the look and feel to the my, which I intend to keep as a midi files and effects/amp settings store for my guitars, synthesizers and amplifiers using Line 6 midi mobilizer and various multi-track apps that I use.

25 hrissan { 06.25.10 at 11:03 am }

I have restored and opted out of “restore from backup” process, setting up iPhone as new one. Well, it feels much more responsive now.

But as soon as I turned on my mobile.me and exchange accounts things slowed to a crawl again.

Regarding virtual memory: iPhone OS swaps out only read-only pages (for example, parts of executables), because it can always reload them when it needs them. Read-write pages are never swapped out, because that would require swap-file and would degrade performance, battery life and storage area lifetime.

Also I thought about list of processes and it is possible Apple will optimize things a bit in 4.1, at least terminating daemons for features which are switched off.

26 ShabbaRanks { 06.25.10 at 1:25 pm }

For anyone masochistic enough to be interested I appear to have had success.
Completed another reinstall. Each install has lasted, at most, including backup, 45mins in total. This last one was no different to the other two I had tried but somehow my 3G feels much faster and more responsive just like in iOS3. Well, not quite that fast but pretty nippy.
Couldn’t tell you why my previous installs were duds. 1st one was from the GM. The second downloaded on public release day. Third a second download of the public release.
Obviously still have apps which don’t function but hopefully that will come with time. Just glad to have my good old useable 3G back :-D
PS: I agree with Hrissan that the starting of MobileMe email use does bring the whole thing down again but at least this is fleeting now. No crashes yet either.

27 ShabbaRanks { 06.25.10 at 1:29 pm }

PPS: thanks to the vast majority of you who have put up with my rantings. Just found the whole experience the most bizarre and frustrating time in 17yrs of Apple use. Thought this would be the best place to let off steam.
Won’t do it again.

28 JPTJr { 06.25.10 at 4:57 pm }

Glad you’re back up and running and have joined us happy 3G iOS4 users, ShabbaRanks.

29 uthne { 06.27.10 at 3:10 pm }

The iOS4 works “just fine” on my 3GS but the multitasking bit is so annoying; Why on earth does the phone-app or Camera go into the multitasking-tray!? I really don’t need MT that much, but now I have to go into the MT-tray to force-quit every app I use. WHY, WHY APPLE?

30 airmanchairman { 06.27.10 at 3:22 pm }

@uthne: apart from the fact that not all of your apps are yet rewritten to take advantage of iOS4, there is a lot you need to understand about multi-tasking and fast-app switching.

Check this brilliant article out:

31 uthne { 06.27.10 at 4:10 pm }

Thanks airmanchairman for pointing me to this article. I’ve been on a long and lazy holiday in Greece, and due to stupendous roaming-costs I just upgraded to iOS4.

But still, if the ‘tray’ should be viewed is a combined ‘recently used’ and ‘multitasking bay’, I wish Apple would add a small badge to distinguish which apps are still processing, which are suspended, and which are simply recently used.

That said, I love the update and I have no speed- or crash issues. Not even in iBooks which Waenni describes as “super slow”. Ok, it uses a few seconds opening “A Treatise of Human Nature” by David Hume – but thats 2521 pages to be layed out from XML!

32 cjlacz { 06.27.10 at 7:29 pm }

As a techie I kind of agree seeing that information would fun, but that’s it. Really it’s just pointless otherwise. Am I not going to use an app because iOS has reclaimed the memory and it won’t load quickly? If it’s doing processing in the background it’s probably because I told it to, or gave it permission to monitor my location. A small badge to tell the difference would make no difference to 95% of Apple customers and only serve to confuse 90% of them.

33 enzos { 06.27.10 at 10:38 pm }

ShabbaRants,
Now worries, mate! It’s a testament to Apple that long-time users EXPECT things to just work every time, eh?
Enz

34 Dude { 06.30.10 at 9:39 pm }

CNET News is reporting the Microsoft has pulled the plug on the Kin phone 2 months after it hit the market!

35 Dude { 06.30.10 at 9:44 pm }

With less than 10,000 phones sold in 2 months, you kinda feel sorry for Microsoft.

36 Myaushka { 06.30.10 at 9:49 pm }

Given that I discovered this blog when looking for detailed info on the Danger data loss fiasco last October, I’d be very interested in Daniel Eran writing a postmortem on Pink/Project KIN (did you know it’s an anagram of PINK? I only noticed a few days ago).