Daniel Eran Dilger in San Francisco
Random header image... Refresh for more!

Apple shareholder meeting tomorrow

Daniel Eran Dilger

Apple’s shareholder meeting is coming up tomorrow morning in Cupertino. I’m in San Francisco and need a ride! So if you’re headed along the same path tomorrow and want to let me tag along in your car please contact me. My bike is wrecked and I still don’t have a replacement driver’s license, so I can’t rent a car tomorrow.

Also, if you have any good questions to pose to Apple’s board, please suggest them. Keep in mind that having good questions to ask won’t help if I can’t get down there! Thanks – (and myth ten is on the way soon…)

26 comments

1 ChrissyOne { 02.24.10 at 11:37 am }

“What up with the cash horde?” would be my question.

2 HCE { 02.24.10 at 11:48 am }

Here are a couple I would like answered.

1. Apple prides itself on support for open standards. Why then does it not support the Open Document Format (ODF) in iWork? It is probably the only truly open document standard there is – I don’t count OOXML as open in any way.

2. Looks like Apple will go with its FairPlay DRM for its e-books and not the Adobe ADEPT DRM that typically is used with the ePub format. Once again, why? This basically ensures that I cannot read the e-books purchased from Apple on any other reader.

– HCE

3 elppa { 02.24.10 at 11:57 am }

When’s iWork.com coming out of Beta?

4 ObamaPacman { 02.24.10 at 12:03 pm }

Hey Dan, Perhaps try a bubbled vehicle his time. ;)

@HCE,
As Apple has demonstrated in the past with the itunes music store, Apple rather not have DRM, but it’s imposed by the content source.

Note Apple removed DRM from music.

5 Raymond { 02.24.10 at 12:14 pm }

@HCE

I think the more important question will be, will Apple stop other eBook applications from its store and will those apps be able to offer Adobe DRM.

As long as Apple doesn’t try to block other eBook apps then I’ve no problem with Apple using what ever it wants.

6 ChuckO { 02.24.10 at 12:24 pm }

My understanding is iBook is an app installed from the app store NOT a native iPad app and so would assume that’s the case because other folks will offer competing products.

7 Netudo { 02.24.10 at 12:26 pm }

Please ask them:

Why don’t they sell Apple servers in Mexico?
Why do they sell Apple TV in Mexico, but they don’t sell/rent TV Shows and movies? Feeding the Apple TV with ripped DVDs is a pain and is more complicated than just playing the DVDs.

Thanks

8 HCE { 02.24.10 at 12:31 pm }

@Raymond

Buying a book should not mean being forced to use just one book reader. Even if I decide that the iPad is the best thing for me right now, something better might turn up later and I do not want to be locked into Apple’s devices because of the DRM. If my only choice is FairPlay, I’ll stay out of the whole e-book thing and stick to killing trees :-).

That’s one of the reasons I haven’t bought a Kindle yet – even though Amazon has realeased readers for platforms other than its own.

– HCE

9 John Muir { 02.24.10 at 12:44 pm }

1. What’s up with plans for the new HQ? It’s been a while since we last heard anything.

2. What’s Apple’s general stance on DRM for all content? Can we hear similar intent for videos and books going forwards as we’ve seen on music in the past? (We all know who’s pushing DRM on content, but it would be interesting to hear Apple’s view now that DRM-free music has proven a great success and the iBook Store is soon to open.)

3. The A4 sounds awesome: is Apple considering similar custom silicon on the Mac? (No, I don’t expect an answer on this one, though it would be great to know. Might as well ask if they’re thinking of buying Nvidia.)

4. What’s that huge new data centre for, any hints?

No lifts, I’m afraid. An ocean and a continent in the way.

10 Conrad MacIntyre { 02.24.10 at 12:54 pm }

@HCE

If you buy a book you can only read it on that book. You can’t transfer your book to another book or device to read – why would you expect a digital book to be different? Purely because it’s digital?

Not that I disagree with you, but I don’t really follow your logic.

11 geoffrobinson { 02.24.10 at 2:03 pm }

A question about the A4 would be great. What is Apple’s overall parts strategy?

12 miloh { 02.24.10 at 2:22 pm }

@Conrad MacIntyre

“… why would you expect a digital book to be different?”

There are things that can potentially be done with e-books that cannot be done with physical books. I believe what HCE is seeking is information about whether those potentials will be allowed.

13 HCE { 02.24.10 at 2:33 pm }

@Conrad MacIntyre

> If you buy a book you can only read it on that book. You can’t transfer
> your book to another book or device to read – why would you expect a > digital book to be different? Purely because it’s digital?

A book typically costs somewhere under $20. That’s all I ever need to pay in order to read it. A reader costs several hundred dollars and it will break at some point in time – all electronic gadgets do. At that point in time, all the e-books that I have purchased become unreadable (reading them on a computer or iPhone don’t count) until I buy myself a new reader. When I am spending several hundred dollars for a product I’d like to be able to buy the best one out there rather then be forced into buying an inferior one just because of the DRM restrictions – not that I am saying that Apple’s products are inferior, just that there’s no guarantee that they will always be the ones I like best.

Books can indeed get destroyed but that happens a lot more rarely. I own lots of books that are 15-20 years old, a few that are even older – all of which are in reasonably good condition. Not one piece of electronics that I have ever owned lasted that long. I’m not complaining – that’s how technology works – but I do have some requirements as to how media such as books, music etc should be delivered in the digital age. I don’t have any control over what the companies will do but unless my requirements are met, I’ll stick with the old way of doing things.

I am fundamentally anti-DRM and I’d rather not have it at all. However, I do recognize that it may be a necessary evil – and I am willing to accept it so long as the format is not exclusive to one company. If Apple uses a publicly licensed DRM technology or licenses its DRM technology to other companies, I’ll by DRM-ed products from the iTunes store. If it continues to keep FairPlay closed, I won’t. That is why I did not buy a single piece of music from the iTunes store until it went completely DRM free.

– HCE

14 ObamaPacman { 02.24.10 at 2:58 pm }

btw, please tell them that App Store feedback should to be limited to customers otherwise it might be subject to abuse by crazies.

15 HCE { 02.24.10 at 3:08 pm }

@miloh

> There are things that can potentially be done with e-books that cannot
> be done with physical books. I believe what HCE is seeking is
> information about whether those potentials will be allowed.

Thanks for the support :-).

Basically my point is that e-books are completely different from regular books. They have tremendous potential advantages – but also drawbacks. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to buy e-books from half.com in “like new” condition at a fraction of the price of a new book. I can put several hundred e-books on a single reader but I cannot read one book while my wife reads another – for that, I’d have to spend several hundred dollars more for a second reader.

I don’t want to be forced into a situation where I give up the advantages of paper books and at the same time, find the potential of e-books be limited by artificial restrictions like proprietary DRM.

– HCE

16 John Muir { 02.24.10 at 3:36 pm }

@HCE

DRM *is* proprietary, by definition. A debate had long ago:
http://daringfireball.net/2007/02/reading_between_the_lines

Microsoft used to plug Plays4sure as the kind of “interoperable” DRM panacea you’re after. But, market failure aside, it was bull. 100% proprietary and a restrictive nightmare.

An open standard means free use, that’s just how software works.

Apple would gladly sell 100% DRM free video and books along with music, I should imagine. It’s Apps which are a different story, as FairPlay is what makes the App Store magic work.

17 Bulu { 02.24.10 at 3:53 pm }

Hi Dan

I’d be interested in these questions being answered:

1) Why are retail numbers of all countries lumped into this one retail category? That made sense when there were only stores in the US. Would it not be better to add the retail numbers to each individual geographic market, i.e. split it up?

2) Many international customers are disappointed by the slow rollout (if at all!) of services like movie rentals from the US to their country. Is Apple planning on improving that in the future, especially now that international business becomes more important?

3) Is Apple happy with the iPhone being generally locked, making it very difficult, i.e. expensive, to use it on travels abroad? This issue is much more prominent in smaller countries, like in Europe, where people cross borders frequently.

4) What is holding up the long promised tethering option for the iPhone?

5) Wasn’t there an unlocked iPhone version promised for the US? I think that is still not available.

Hope you get your ride, Dan, sorry I can’t help. Enjoy the meeting!!

18 bazz4 { 02.24.10 at 4:17 pm }

Daniel -
A personal question – How is your drivers license connected to you bike? USA doesn’t have multi category licenses?

19 uberVU - social comments { 02.24.10 at 5:36 pm }

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by DanielEran: New: Apple shareholder meeting tomorrow – http://tinyurl.com/yljvtau

20 davesmall { 02.24.10 at 6:26 pm }

Why not include Flash on the iPad and iPhone as a user option with ‘click to view?’. That is, Flash content would not be displayed unless the user clicks on the box containing Flash content.

21 rvanden { 02.24.10 at 9:49 pm }

Please ask what percentage of their current 21.5″ and 27″ iMac production is defective, which percentage is problem free; and when they are going to get these problems rectified… because I want to buy one but am waiting for the horror stories to end.

22 Benjamin { 02.24.10 at 10:17 pm }

Take the bus!

23 enzos { 02.24.10 at 10:22 pm }

Bulu,
You can get an unlocked iPhone: Take a flight to Sydney Australia, catch a train to Town Hall and buy one unlocked at the Apple Store (A$800 ≈ US$650). Don’t forget to do some sightseeing while you’re there coz it’s a long flight home!

Cheers
Enz

24 Berend Schotanus { 02.25.10 at 12:40 am }

@Benjamin

San Francisco – Cupertino by public transit: 2 hours 26 minutes
by car: aprox. 50 minutes, probably excluding traffic jams
(source: Google Maps)

But there’s hope, high speed trains are on their way to California.

Dan, I hope you do find a ride.

25 HCE { 02.25.10 at 9:48 am }

@John Muir

I know DRM is proprietary by definition – bad choice of words on my part. What I meant was DRM that is exclusive to one company.

PlaysForSure didn’t work because Microsoft screwed it up in more ways than one. Not to mention that most PlaysForSure devices were rather mediocre. I don’t see why a reasonably administered scheme with buy-in from most e-bookstores should not work.

In the end, the point I originally made remains. The e-book paradigm has its advantages but drawbacks too. I don’t want to be stuck with the drawbacks while being denied the advantages because of DRM issues.

– HCE

26 John Muir { 02.25.10 at 9:53 am }

@HCE

Highly recommended article on ebooks, from inside the industry, written a year before the iPad was announced:
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2009/02/the-once-and-future-e-book.ars
Siracusa happens to be the guy who writes those gargantuan OS X reviews every few years too. You know what to expect.

You must log in to post a comment.