Ten Myths of Apple’s iPad: 8. It’s a curse for mobile developers

Here’s segment eight in my series taking on iPad myths: no the iPad SDK won’t curse developers.

Ten Myth of Apple’s iPad: 1. It’s just a big iPod touch
Ten Myth of Apple’s iPad: 2. iPad needs Adobe Flash
Ten Myths of Apple’s iPad: 3. It’s ad-evil
Ten Myths of Apple’s iPad: 4. It was over-hyped and under-delivered
Ten Myths of Apple’s iPad: 5. It’s just a Tablet PC or Kindle
Ten Myths of Apple’s iPad: 6. It needs HDMI for HD video output
Ten Myths of Apple’s iPad: 7. It needs cameras
Ten Myths of Apple’s iPad: 8. It’s a curse for mobile developers
Ten Myths of Apple’s iPad: 9. It can’t multitask
Ten Myths of Apple’s iPad: 10. It needs Mac OS X
Dear WSJ: 8. It’s a myth the iPad will “curse” developers.

Yukari Iwtani Kane, who is the same Wall Street Journal writer who announced that the iPhone was doomed in Japan because users there would not be likely to download apps or afford it or live without features common on other Japanese smartphones, has written up a similar hit piece on the iPad and its potential for interest among mobile app developers.

The Japanese iPhone Failure Myth

The iPad, Kane wrote, “has the potential to be both a blessing and a curse to the growing ranks of companies that have developed more than 140,000 applications for the company’s iPhone.”

After briefly noting that developers report being “excited about the opportunity” to develop iPad apps, Kane spent most of his pen time isolating a few apps that make use of the iPhone’s camera, from Skype conferencing to a bar code reader, and then fretting that the lack of a camera in the iPad would turn those developers’ worlds upside down into a cataclysm of nightmares.
Apparently Kane has never heard of the iPod touch, which iPhone developers have successfully accommodated for more than two years now. Like the iPad, it too lacks a camera, but that has not made it a failure nor resulted in a bewitching curse upon Apple’s third party mobile developers.

Kane also noted that the iPad would be a problem for apps like Loopt, because, he wrote, the iPad’s “bigger size makes it harder for people to carry around to map the location of friends.” As we are all aware, keeping track of friends with Loopt is a primary function of the iPod touch, and certainly is the very thing users are looking for in a mobile tablet device. Too bad tablets are also too big for that sort of thing! What a conundrum of epic proportions.

Or, perhaps, people who buy the iPad will also have a cell phone. Just like people who carry a Blackberry and also have an iPhone, except less of a stretch.

Apple’s iPad Changes the Landscape for App Makers – WSJ.com

Let’s get some perspective here on the extent of this developer curse.

Developers targeting the iPhone, the iPod touch, and the iPad certainly will have to account for some slight differences between the three. In addition to lacking a camera, the iPod touch and iPad also lack GPS and of course phone features. However, ever other mobile platform, from Windows Mobile to BlackBerry to Symbian to Android, raises fractionalizing barriers that are far more serious and complex for their software developers to manage.

Microsoft has two definitions of its Windows Mobile smartphones, one of which doesn’t even have a touch screen (ie. Windows Smartphones like the fairly popular Motorola Q and Samsung BlackJack). That means Microsoft’s mobile developers have to create two very different versions for every app they sell, each with a completely different user interface. On top of that, various Windows Mobile phones sport very different screen resolutions and aspect ratios.

Android phones ship from different vendors with various third party user interface layers (HTC Sense, Motorola Blur, Sony “Rachel”), and can’t always even be upgraded to the same OS version. Right now, there are vendors bringing phones to market with significantly different versions of Android, each supporting different features and APIs. Certain Android models are just now getting rudimentary multitouch features which other models lack. Each Android device can present different hardware buttons. It’s a mess for developers.

Those kinds of platform issues make the slight differences between the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad appear virtually meaningless. Additionally, the iPad introduces the first significant change to the iPhone OS in terms of screen resolution and format. Since Apple sells very few models in large quantities, developers will simply not have any “cursed” problems in accommodating those differences, and certainly nothing like other platforms like Android, where nearly every model sports a different screen resolution.

Microsoft sells restrictive new WiMo Marketplace via iPhone ads
Android hype vehicle set to crash in 2010

Thanks for making it clear you’re just spewing nonsense.

Kane also managed to give Adobe the microphone to broadcast its ineffectual plea that Apple somehow be stopped from limiting Flash from polluting the mobile web with proprietary plugin garbage. Oh the humanity.

The other “curse” that Kane suggested the iPad would bring is a lack of running third party apps in the background. In other words, a curse of no spyware and no viruses, and the inability to play Pandora radio while browsing the web rather than iTunes. I bet other device makers and mobile platforms wouldn’t mind being cursed with the same success Apple has attained, even if it meant not delegating the platform to the whims of third party developers.

What is more interesting than the fear, uncertainty, and doubt emanating from tech media naysayers about the iPad is the dutiful interest being demonstrated by developers. When Apple launched the iPad SDK yesterday, iPhone developers rushing the virtual doors slowed the site to a crawl. And beyond customary developers extending their iPhone apps, companies like Disney are eyeing the iPad as a venue for new kinds of content, from interactive TV to comic books.

AppleInsider | Disney executive praises potential of Apple iPad

The only curse in tablet computing will be coming from the mouths of companies who sat around over the last decade dribbling out tepid hardware designs and brain dead software models.

1 Jon T { 02.11.10 at 3:58 am }

Aaarghh! Never in history can one company have attracted such twaddle to be written about it. Quite incredible.

2 lehenbauer { 02.11.10 at 5:49 am }

I agree that the iPad and iPhone are easier to develop for than most if not all other mobile platforms.

However, as a codeveloper of a top 1000 website on the Internet, the difficult part is that one must now develop for the web and for multiple mobile platforms. In many cases, mobile apps could easily have been done as nothing more than mobile-enabled webpages. The part I find frustrating is the fragmenting into proprietariness of activities that gain little benefit from being apps other than perception or to work around the smallness or clumsiness of the device.

Fortunately, though, the iPad’s web browser will be powerful enough, and its display size large enough, that it probably won’t be necessary to recast websites as apps merely because of limitations of the device, although anyone with an iPhone app today is thinking hard about iPad apps.

3 ChuckO { 02.11.10 at 7:06 am }

lehenbauer, Why do you think more apps aren’t web apps? Is it just people like having the icon on the screen or searching the app store for stuff?

4 ChuckO { 02.11.10 at 7:12 am }

I don’t know how it is in Australia or Europe but here in the US we have become paralyzed by worrying. We can’t try anything new without a chorus of harpies coming out to tell us the sky is falling. It reminds me of all the theories of why Rome declined was it debauchery or lead pipes in the water system. We’re hitting that problem now. No one knows how to think anymore.

5 adobephile { 02.11.10 at 7:22 am }

As an aspiring, brand-new and registered, iPhone OS developer, I’m hugging myself for having “waited” so long to actively get going on learning the language(s).

The bulk of the apps I have in mind to create will be graphical and educational/utility in nature, and will benefit greatly from the iPad’s screen real estate–to the point where I may very well decide to develop exclusively for it.

I just got my first iPhone 3GS and noticed that its camera produces images that are exactly twice the resolution of the iPad’s screen. That’s very nice, as I believe it would be a simple thing to implement the “beaming” of images from iPhone to iPad via Bluetooth or WiFi. And the iPhone makes for an easier to handle camera than would the iPad with it relatively greater physical bulk.

I’ve been very heartened by the huge success of iPhone OS devices and software. And now with the addition of the iPad to Apple’s stable, the future is decidedly BRILLIANT!

I feel like a kid sitting in his old man’s Ferrari, admiring its intense beauty, fiddling with the controls, overflowing with excitement over the prospect of actually driving it someday soon, and picturing all the endless curves and scenery that will soon be rushing by his gaze.

6 aznzofia111 { 02.11.10 at 8:01 am }

Daniel,

As other commenters may have noted earlier in an earlier article, the journalist’s name is Yukari Iwatani Kane. You are missing an A in her last name. Her first name is Yukari. She is a female journalist.

I understand that I’m being anal about something you could care less about, but improper referencing reflects a lack of research, and that really threatens to bring the quality of your work down to the pits of blogo-journalism.

That aside, I agree with your piece. It’s clear that tech pundits like her clearly don’t understand basic corporate strategy and marketing.

Apple’s closed platform is an incredible unique competitive advantage that is leveraging the market right into Apple’s hand. Reality defies Yukari’s logic.

The iPad is no threat to developers, better yet it is a new opportunity for them. The iPad will eat into the iPod Touch’s demand, but it likely will not do the same for the iPhone, because it is an entirely different device.

Apple has clearly made the decision that apps to the likes of Pandora and Skype clearly were not meant to be on the iPad to begin with, as there is no definite improvement in user experience on a larger screen and interface. Why would you want a bigger, heavier internet radio or phone device? The iPad was never an opportunity for such devs, the next generation iPhone will make them STFU.

What’s more, Apple had strategically introduced the iPhone prior to the iPad, thus making the entrance of the iPod an easier transition experience for both consumers and devs. What more could you want?

7 ericgen { 02.11.10 at 8:06 am }

I enjoy your articles. They’re generally very well thought out and I also enjoy the snarkiness. That being said, I think you might have wanted to google Yukari Iwatani Kane before writing this article as ‘he’ is a ‘she’.

It doesn’t negate your points, which are well made, but it provides a huge distraction (mostly humorous to me) to a lot of people who are familiar with her.

[Thanks for pointing that out. I'm now 0 for 2 in guessing the gender of Japanese writers this month. I guess I'll stop assuming now. - Dan]

8 lmasanti { 02.11.10 at 9:04 am }

quote:
“Yukari Iwtani Kane,…”
“Her first name is Yukari.”

I do not know in Japanese, but in Chinesse the first name is the surname, then the name.

9 gctwnl { 02.11.10 at 9:18 am }

Not being able to run background 3rd party apps does not equate to “not being able to run viruses and spyware”. That argument is a bit over the top, I think. The example of listening to Pandora Radio while surfing actually makes sense as an example why the background app limitation (though understandable from a battery and memory perspective) is not by definition and in all cases a good thing. While Apple’s choice about limitations on multitasking is defensible as a good compromise, it does not need the defense it gets here. And with Apple vetting the apps, we are in no way completely at the whims of third party app makers with respect to the overall user experience.

10 Berend Schotanus { 02.11.10 at 9:45 am }

Apple has effectively sandboxed developers and forced them to adapt the object orientation paradigm. If you are used to procedural programming and used to getting access to the whole device I can understand you feel iPhone OS as a severe restriction.
Apple is restricting the power of developers, many developers are pretty angry about that. Yet the very same measures protect users.

Same problem for the web: by nature the HTML is sandboxed and object oriented. Some developers don’t like that.
But Flash is a huge work-around. With Flash they can continue their old programming habits. That’s why they love Flash.

11 gus2000 { 02.11.10 at 10:19 am }

DED was not suggesting that all background software is spyware; I understood him to mean that the “freedom” accompanying an unmanaged software platform is also what provides a fertile environment for malware, and that you just can’t have it both ways. I too would enjoy being able to surf on my iPad while voice-chatting in Skype, but the iPhone OS’s security model is based on sandboxed apps, running one at a time. And what about an appropriate interface for managing background apps? I’d prefer to have it “just work” and buy two iPads (lol) than to have background apps clobbering my user experience.

Of course, the article was really about the myth of iPhone/iPad platform fractionalization, when in reality this common issue is extremely well-managed by Apple and is a much bigger problem amongst the other mobile-device platforms. Myth busted.

On another subject, I admit to being very confused by Japanese proper names. I understand completely that it is their convention to list surname then name, opposite of US/EU convention. But frequently I see that the Japanese, when writing in English, will refer to themselves in name/surname format for our benefit. (On “Heroes”, a Japanese character refers to himself as “Hiro Nakamura”, but only when speaking in English. When speaking in Japanese, he reverses the convention.)

In other words, I can understand why an English speaker would unwittingly mangle a Japanese person’s name, particularly when written in Latin characters. There are clear conventions for both languages, but little agreement on proper translation IMHO.

If anyone can shed light on this subject, I would enjoy being able to better address persons of other cultures without sounding ignorant. Domo arigato.

12 donarb { 02.11.10 at 10:30 am }

Daniel,

Just to clear things up.

The iPad does have a GPS, but only the models that have 3G. And the SDK for the iPad was released the day they announced the iPad. What released on Feb 9 was the second version of the beta.

13 adobephile { 02.11.10 at 10:31 am }

@Schotanus
Yours are the types of reactionary gripes over which I bristle.

I think Objective-C’s MVC design pattern is distinctly elegant and inherently far more powerful than a procedural pattern. Too bad the dinosaurs object to having to learn something new, but those who do may not become extinct!

I’m on the fence regarding Flash. I think Adobe’s initiative to provide an iPhone app native format export option with Flash CS5 is intriguing, at least.

14 uberVU - social comments { 02.11.10 at 10:43 am }

This post was mentioned on Twitter by LKWave: Ten Myths of Apple’s iPad: 8. It’s a curse for mobile developers … http://bit.ly/a0SNJP #iPad…

15 Taking on the Wall Street Journal’s iPad is a curse theory | The Loop { 02.11.10 at 11:37 am }

[...] It would seem I wasn’t the only one. Roughly Drafted’s Daniel Eran Dilger had significant issues with the story and wrote a rebuttal as part of his “Ten Myths of Apple’s iPad” series of articles.The Journal’s [...]

16 koolie { 02.11.10 at 11:59 am }

Your comments make me wonder how Android developers cope with all different screen sizes. How???

[By "Android developers" do you mean "hobbyist tinkerers," the same small but vocal minority who likely also manage to run Linux on their PC desktops? If so, I don't think their experiences reflect those of mainstream mobile developers. - Dan]

17 whmlco { 02.11.10 at 1:33 pm }

New ways to multi-task? Sorry, still no background “apps”.

Apps may be able to register a task to be called periodically, but those tasks probably would not (and should not) have direct access to the radios for 3G and GPS. Think instead of queuing up requests that are handled as a group on a user-defined schedule, thus minimizing the amount of time the radios are on and drawing power.

I’d also see them allowing the “music” sound queue to be fed by another registered background task. Again, a task, not the full app.

And you could also allow developers to hook into the clock/alarm system with wakeup notifications that are app specific.

Finally, I could also see a background “shutdown” task that could be registered to allow photo apps and the like to continue to save files or save state as they quit.

All of the above would handle 95% of the needs for app notifications, gps tracking, and music streaming, without letting full blown apps run wild and kill the battery life.

18 frankeee { 02.11.10 at 4:36 pm }

Awesome as always!

I am recently finding some of the biggest curiosities in journalism due to the iPad.

Bad START: http://www.forbes.com/free_forbes/2010/0301/technology-ipad-netbook-keyboards-ereader-digital-tool.html?partner=yahoomag

Good START: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10625511&pnum=0

I do however recall the iPhone was ‘predominantly’ off to a “bad start”, that’s why it sold so ‘few’ thereafter (I really should write that review about the Tech World’s favorite gadget from back then – the HTC Diamond – quickly where is that bucket, I am still throwing up).

19 IainW { 02.11.10 at 5:28 pm }

@lmasanti,

Actually, I believe both you and Daniel are incorrect.

If Daniel was truly interested in respectfully disagreeing with her, the correct address would be Yukari-san. He doesn’t know her well enough to address her by first name – and this takes time with anyone in Japan before that familiarity is reached.

Of course, I’m just Gai-jin, and happy to be corrected ;)

20 mikeg { 02.11.10 at 5:49 pm }

Okay, I know this article is related myths about mobile developers, but during the video segment, Daniel made mention that “we” have generally gotten along without Flash on mobile for a couple of years or so, this topic of which was covered in an earlier Myth article. I will say that I have been frustrated when I am on the road with only an iPhone and I try to access a website from which I wanted information, but I couldn’t get what I needed because the particular website is laden with Flash. I would have to wait until I got to home/work to actually get the information I (thought I) needed. Now it is interesting that many of the folks that complained about the lack of Flash cited Hulu almost always as the primary website of concern, but I think I saw a post on another site where a Flash-free version of Hulu will be developed for the iPad. If true, this fact alone speaks highly of the importance that developers, particularly a large entity, are placing on the potential of the iPad. In fact, I have given more than casual consideration at becoming a developer for iPad applications related to my field because the opportunities to do so for this device are compelling now.

21 lehenbauer { 02.11.10 at 7:15 pm }

ChuckO – I don’t know. The moviefone app is pretty equivalent to the website. I think apps currently have a cachet with users. I think there will always be a place for useful apps but right now maybe it’s the novelty that has people prefer apps that are no better than mobile-enabled websites.

Don’t get me wrong, I think the iPad is a big deal and we will be ordering them, playing with them and developing for them.

22 adobephile { 02.11.10 at 7:57 pm }

@lehenbauer

I don’t agree with your generalization about apps having only a temporary cachet over websites.

Apps are apps. Websites are websites.

If a developer is lazy enough to merely emulate a website in an app, he ‘s squandered the opportunity to take advantage of the rich set of tools Apple provides to make the app especially useful and pleasurable to use. It’s the overall design and implementation that will create demand for and sustain continued sales through word-of-mouth past this initial “curiosity” stage of iPhone OS apps.

You can’t generalize between apps and websites. Individual apps and sites have their respective qualities which will make or break each one individually.

23 FreeRange { 02.11.10 at 8:40 pm }

Daniel – I think you missed the opportunity to emphasize a key point about the iPad. It is actually a gift to developers! It offers them a whole new platform to port their apps to while adding new features and functionality that will allow them to sell a new enhanced version of their apps. The games demo at the launch event are a perfect example. The iPad opens up a whole new level of creativity and opportunity!

24 Why I am Excited About the iPad – GigaOM { 02.12.10 at 7:27 am }

[...] If you are one of those developers who has doubts about iPad and needs something to change your mind, I recommend you read RoughlyDrafted’s Ten Myths of Apple’s iPad: Its a curse for mobile developers. [...]

25 Curated Stories Feb. 12, 2010 { 02.12.10 at 3:17 pm }

[...] Ten Myths of Apple’s iPad: 8. It’s a curse for mobile developers Published: February 10, 2010 Source: RoughlyDrafted Magazine Daniel Eran Dilger Here’s segment seven in my series taking on iPad myths: no the iPad SDK won’t curse developers. Ten Myth of Apple’s iPad: 1. It’s just a big iPod touch Ten Myth of Apple’s iPad: 2…. [...]

26 John E { 02.12.10 at 9:37 pm }

by all published accounts, there is a huge burst of energy among developers to come up with iPad apps in time for the launch in April. first of course to try to get that one-time market publicity that translates into big profits. or quickly replicate money making iPhone apps on this new platform and sell a lot more of them (at a higher price?). but there is also a group of visionaries that want to create something really new and terrific.

but there is no evidence at all that many developers are turning away from the iPad (as they demonstrably are with WinMo 6.x). some are “wait and see,” yes.

Kane – he or she – is just plain silly.

27 jdb { 02.13.10 at 2:26 pm }

On a somewhat offtopic note, it looks like the Android fragmentation is about to get much worse.

There is a replacement VM being promoted by its developer as 3x faster than the one that ships with Android.

Most developers will immediately understand why this is problematic. When a small (unknown) developer creates a replacement for core functionality there is no way for the original owner to insure reliability and compatibility. It is very unlikely that both VMs perform similarly enough that software will be completely compatible, especially when a developer is working around inevitable bugs.

If this new Dalvik VM from Myriad turns out to be even slightly popular, it is going to cause major headaches for Android developers. Google should head this off as quickly as possible but that might be difficult to do given the open source nature of Android.

28 elppa { 02.13.10 at 6:19 pm }

Limiting developers by giving them objects.

And then compounding the problem by providing easy to use, high level frameworks.

How terrible of Apple.

I’ve heard it all now.

29 Tardis { 02.14.10 at 8:55 am }

@IainW

“Actually, I believe both you and Daniel are incorrect. Her first name is Iwatani, Kane is probably a middle name, or even a nickname, and her Family name is Yukari. ………… Of course, I’m just Gai-jin, and happy to be corrected ;)”

Happy to oblige, IanW.

Yukari is a personal name. Iwatani is a family name. Kane is another family name.

DED should know of this Yukari. She is one of the few people who says she has “talked to people who have been briefed on the subject by Apple” including on the subject of the iPad .

She has to keep her stories coming, even if she doesn’t understand them. If someone whispers in her ear and you hear the magic words “people who have been briefed”, then it’s time to take notice of what she says. Otherwise, she’s just a babe……

30 DVR { 02.14.10 at 11:23 pm }

Great job Daniel on this series! I just updated our article on the impact the iPad will have on project management to include a link to your work:

Cheers!
Deon

31 Sipad { 02.17.10 at 4:07 am }

I think there is a whole section of the dev community that will be very excited about the iPad and the opportunities it will present for future apps. I’m sure there will be updates to the iPad that will create further challenges and new opportunities for developers, and that’s without considering the whole heap of apps that will be created for the time that the iPad is hacked – which it inevitably will be!!

32 Ten Myths of Apple’s iPad: 9. It can’t multitask — RoughlyDrafted Magazine { 02.17.10 at 12:55 pm }

[...] iPad: 6. It needs HDMI for HD video output Ten Myths of Apple’s iPad: 7. It needs cameras Ten Myths of Apple’s iPad: 8. It’s a curse for mobile developers Ten Myths of Apple’s iPad: 9. It can’t multitask . Dear rubes: 9. It’s a myth the [...]

33 Ten Myths of Apple’s iPad: 7. It needs cameras — RoughlyDrafted Magazine { 02.17.10 at 12:57 pm }

[...] iPad: 6. It needs HDMI for HD video output Ten Myths of Apple’s iPad: 7. It needs cameras Ten Myths of Apple’s iPad: 8. It’s a curse for mobile developers Ten Myths of Apple’s iPad: 9. It can’t multitask . Dear gadget spec people: 7. It’s a [...]

34 danieleran { 02.17.10 at 7:30 pm }

In the original account I posted this Video to on YouTube, it received 1,930 views and the following comments:
juraj2 (5 days ago)

Daniel, after reading your website for some years now I’m happy that you added semi-video-podcast content. I don’t know how representative my english is (I’m german) but maybe you could speak a bit slower (like Steve Jobs during his Keynotes) so that you are even better understandable by ppl with sub-optimal english skills. Cheers and keep up your very good work. Thank you.
j.

ajtakpetr (6 days ago)

just a week and the vids are on another level, good job:-)

gdigiart (6 days ago)

Videos are getting much better. :-) you are really improving rapidly. this could be the start of something great. I can imagine what your video content will grow into in two years if you stick with it. It’s allready pseudo professional. You could be a reliable source for technolgy reviews in the near future.

JawnMercernary (6 days ago)

getting much better at editing compared to the first one.

thehighconcept (6 days ago)

Thanks!

35 Ten Myth of Apple’s iPad: 2. iPad needs Adobe Flash — RoughlyDrafted Magazine { 02.19.10 at 6:32 pm }

[...] iPad: 6. It needs HDMI for HD video output Ten Myths of Apple’s iPad: 7. It needs cameras Ten Myths of Apple’s iPad: 8. It’s a curse for mobile developers Ten Myths of Apple’s iPad: 9. It can’t multitask . Dear Adobe: 2. It’s a myth that [...]

36 Ten Myths of Apple’s iPad: 2. It needs Flash, segment 2 — RoughlyDrafted Magazine { 02.19.10 at 6:35 pm }

[...] iPad: 6. It needs HDMI for HD video output Ten Myths of Apple’s iPad: 7. It needs cameras Ten Myths of Apple’s iPad: 8. It’s a curse for mobile developers Ten Myths of Apple’s iPad: 9. It can’t multitask . Support [...]

37 Ten Myths of Apple’s iPad: 10. It needs Mac OS X — RoughlyDrafted Magazine { 02.26.10 at 3:19 pm }

[...] iPad: 6. It needs HDMI for HD video output Ten Myths of Apple’s iPad: 7. It needs cameras Ten Myths of Apple’s iPad: 8. It’s a curse for mobile developers Ten Myths of Apple’s iPad: 9. It can’t multitask Ten Myths of Apple’s iPad: 10. It needs [...]

38 Ten Myth of Apple’s iPad: 1. It’s just a big iPod touch — RoughlyDrafted Magazine { 02.26.10 at 3:47 pm }

39 Ipad { 04.05.10 at 11:08 am }

The iPad is going to be such a massive interface clash, but as always people will sort it out in order to get the best apps out there, so that they will sell more, it’s a pretty simple equation. The only curse at the moment is that developers actually need to get their hands on one to really make the apps that people are going to use, and that are going to work well without gliches. This is in the UK seems to be a fair way off yet!

40 gslusher { 04.23.10 at 12:53 pm }

@lehenbauer:
“Fortunately, though, the iPad’s web browser will be powerful enough, and its display size large enough …”

FWIW, the iPad’s screen is the same size in pixels as my 12-in PowerBook G4. Web pages should look & work BETTER because there’s no space taken up by the border, scroll bars, toolbar, etc.

41 Dipad { 06.30.10 at 4:28 pm }

Now that the iPad is done and launched it has definitely taken a back seat for the iPhone 4. I can definitely see Developers switching gears to the new iPhone, at least for a while.