Podcast: What’s interesting about the iPad

Nightowl logo

Gene Steinberg of the Tech Night Owl invited me to talk about what’s notable in Apple’s iPad. Listen here, pull up earlier podcast episodes via iTunes, and subscribe to the Tech Night Owl RSS feed at:

The Tech Night Owl LIVE with Gene Steinberg
Previous 2009 episodes:

December 24, 2009 2009 in review, 2010 Apple slate in preview
December 3, 2009 iPhone development and Google’s Android and Chrome OS
October 29, 2009 Windows NT, Vista, 7, and Unix
October 8, 2009 Adobe Flash, FCC rules on blogger reviews, Windows 7, and
September 17, 2009 Zune HD, Flip video and the iPod nano.
August 27, 2009 Windows 7 and Snow Leopard.
July 30, 2009, Windows 7, netbooks, and the Apple tablet.
July 9, 2009, Mozilla and Opera fight to make Ogg Theora the official codec of HTML 5.
June 18, 2009, Microsoft Enthusiasts

Aug 9 07
Jun 14 07
Apr 26 07
Mar 1 07
Jan 11 07

1 ChrissyOne { 02.12.10 at 1:11 pm }

I still think that Amazon doesn’t really want to be in the hardware business. Do you think they’ll try to sell the Kindle at a loss, or just not bother with it and let Apple sell better hardware and concentrate on selling books? I think the latter.

2 nat { 02.12.10 at 2:09 pm }

That was a really good episode overall. Joe Kissell’s segment pushed me to enable OS X’s firewall, for instance.

Also Dan, I think the concept you were searching for in that discussion on multitasking on the iPad/iPhone is “save state.”

When you quit Safari on the Mac, for instance, you lose all your open tabs and any text you’ve entered. In stark contrast, iPhone (and iPad) apps can use the save state function so that when the user quits and then reopens the app, everything—even the cursor placement—is exactly where it was when they quit it.

Thus the iPad’s home screen, just like the iPhone’s, serves as a big cmd-tabesque app switcher. Though longtime Mac users and some Windows power users are accustomed to cascaded windows, most users simply maximize all their windows. I’ve even seen some people who minimize one maximized window before maximizing another, rather than hitting cmd-tab or clicking on it in the Taskbar!

Thanks to save states and increasingly shorter app startup times (on my new 32GB iPod touch, it’s near instantaneous), it feels almost as if you never quit the app in the first place. So this really is a smaller issue that most make it out to be.

Oh, and you can stream Internet radio in the background but it’s in its infancy:

I don’t think Apple will be allowing apps to run in the background anytime soon but limited background processes, like audio streaming (again, Pandora) or a clipboard service (Pastebot) or a location-emitting service (Google Latitude), would make a lot more sense.

3 nat { 02.12.10 at 2:15 pm }

Whoops, and by “allowing apps to run in the background,” I meant, “allowing third-party apps to run in the background.”

4 Gene Steinberg { 02.12.10 at 5:09 pm }

Thanks, nat. Joe Kissell is another one of our favorites. He’s probably written more Mac books than most anyone outside of Bob LeVitus and David Pogue — and me before I quit that game. :)

Peace,
Gene

5 Ephilei { 02.12.10 at 5:52 pm }

@Dan

Do you realize your RSS entry has 18 links to the podcast? That happens with all your podcast posts.

6 Ephilei { 02.12.10 at 7:58 pm }

Sorry, those are old podcasts, but they’re not labeled. The current episode isn’t included.

7 nat { 02.12.10 at 11:06 pm }

Gene,

Yeah, his series on ‘taming your inbox’ was fantastic. Helped me go from thousands of emails down to just a handful (and keep it that way).

Always enjoy Tech Night Owl’s interviews and the campy interludes, for some reason, haha! Keep it up! :-)

8 ChuckO { 02.13.10 at 12:16 pm }

One of the things I thought was a shame didn’t come up during the first segment of the show or Dan’s was that the iBook app has to be downloaded from the app store and is not a “native” iPad app. The importance of that is sort of “nuanced” I think and bears some discussion so that people think through the implications of why Apple just didn’t include it in iTunes. It’s a good argument against the Apple is the new Microsoft crowd and besides it’s obvious Google’s the new borg.