Mac shipments suspended from NYC Schools over WiFi flaw

200804171428
Scheduled delivery of Apple computers to schools run by the New York City Department of Education have been temporarily suspended due to problems related to connecting to the DOE’s wireless network infrastructure.

Continues: Mac shipments suspended from NYC Schools over WiFi flaw

1 jfatz { 04.18.08 at 12:52 am }

…therefore Apple is a horrible company!

2 WholesaleMagic { 04.18.08 at 2:43 am }

I’ve got to say, wireless is terrible on Leopard. It was bad in 10.5.0, but it got significantly worse in 10.5.1, and there was no change when 10.5.2 came out. I was extremely disappointed with Apple regarding their lack of communication. There were many threads on Apple Discussions attempting to come up with solutions, but nothing eventuated. It was up to Apple to fix.

What’s even more disappointing is that they ignore the hundreds (and possibly thousands) of users with wireless problems for months, but ‘scramble’ to fix the problem as soon as a prominent institution complains. Obviously, Apple is concerned with their media image.

3 ewelch { 04.18.08 at 10:28 am }

Now, Apple, once that’s done, how about fixing the problems in Leopard with Active Directory? Huh?

Deployment of Leopard at our company (with schools in 14 countries by the way) is on hold until the multi-name-controller – or whatever it’s called – bug is fixed.

4 jfatz { 04.18.08 at 12:25 pm }

I’m not actually sure what the wireless problem is in Leopard, but it certainly hasn’t affected me or anyone I know in any way, so I assume this is something particular to large networks, or higher-level-security-related?

It is, of course, normal business practice to prioritize work in a way that makes the most sense to them. A PR hit always kicks something way up that list, because only THEN does it “make a lot more sense” than other items on the list. ;-)

Obviously every company is concerned with their image.

5 WholesaleMagic { 04.18.08 at 11:50 pm }

Leopard has problems that affect users on home networks as well.

Some people have reported:

1. Wireless dropping out at random.
2. Wireless hanging, but not losing signal.
3. Slow transfer and internet speeds over LAN.

I have personally experienced both 1 and 2, and if Apple Discussions is anything to go by, so have many other people. The problem is not limited to users of 802.11n, but also affects 802.11g.

6 tripleman { 04.19.08 at 2:05 am }

For the record, I’m not sure what the wireless issues are. I have no problems either at work or at home, through ethernet or wireless.

I’m not saying it’s not happening to anyone, just not to everyone.